How much stuff can I fit in my unit?
Need some help deciding which unit size you may need? These estimates may help.
- 5' x 5' A chest of drawers, several boxes and small items.
- 10' x 10' Furnishings from a 1 bedroom apartment, plus several boxes and other items.
- 10' x 15' Furniture from a 1 or 2 bedroom house, with appliances. Boxes and other items
- 10' x 20' Furnishings from a small house or 2 bedroom apartment with appliances or a car or pickup
- 10' x 25' Furnishings from a 2 bedroom home with appliances, or a car, pickup or boat
- 10' x 30' Furnishings up to a 4 bedroom home. A car or pickup. Will hold contents of a 40ft moving van
Before you store.
A few tips on properly preparing your belongings for storage.
- Make sure your goods are dry and clean before you put them into storage. Drain and wipe down freezers, refrigerators and washing machines.
- Pack your property into good quality plastic or cardboard storage boxes
- Fill storage boxes to capacity, using soft padding where appropriate. Partially full or bulging boxes may collapse or tip over.
- Pack heavier items like files and books in smaller boxes so they aren't too heavy.
- Label or number boxes for easy reference and keep an inventory of what you have stored.
- Protect fragile items with bubble wrap and avoid putting heavy items on top.
- Use wardrobe boxes to keep clothes in shape.
- Remove all perishable and inflammable items like food, aerosols, batteries and oil/petrol.
- Dismantle furniture where possible and detach legs from tables and beds to save space.
- Remember, lift heavy items correctly: bend your knees not your back.
Making the most out of your space.
A few tips on taking advantage of your units real estate. Packing tricks of the trade.
- Plan your storage. Put items you may need at the front.
- Remember, you can visit your storage unit as often as you want.
- Position boxes and items of similar size together to minimize waste of space.
- Leave space for access to the rear of the unit.
- Place dust sheets or protective covering over soft furnishings.
- Stand mattresses on end and avoid stacking heavy items on soft furnishings.
- Stack chairs seat to seat.
- Use dust sheets to cover your property and on the floor of the storage unit.
- Use furniture covers or dust sheets between surfaces to protect from scratches.
What not to do when storing.
A few tips on what to avoid when storing your belongings.
- Do not use plastic to cover your belongings. It retains moisture.
- Do not store any food items. This will prevent any unwanted guests.
- Do not pack your boxes so that they are too heavy to carry them. Especially when packing books.
- Do not assume that your homeowners or renters insurance will cover your belongings while in storage. Purchase the insurance.
- Do not give out your password, or gate code to any one that is not listed as having access.
- Do not use printed newspaper for wrapping. The ink may smudge and get on your items.
- Do not forget to clean appliances before you store them.
- Do not store any toxins or flammables such as paint, oil, or gasoline.